The push for cannabis legalization across the United States of America has put the people’s focus back on the benefits of marijuana. As cannabis legalization gets argued at a federal level, states around the nation are greenlighting recreational marijuana at a state level. This has led more individuals than ever to have access to the recreational cannabis products that they need to feel better.
One of the most popular surging cannabis products in the industry today is cannabis lotion. Cannabis topicals have been with us for centuries, we’ve used them in balms, lotions, creams, lubricants, and oils. Topical cannabis products endeavor to provide many of the pain-relieving properties of cannabis to users by way of a targeted application on the surface of their skin.
Extensive studies have shown that there are anti-inflammatory properties in CBD and THC that have been widely researched, accepted, and embraced by the scientific community. By utilizing these powerful cannabinoids, cannabis connoisseurs can craft homemade topical lotions that seek to soothe their skin, provide targeted pain relief, or even address skin imperfections.
Today, we want to focus our attention on crafting homemade cannabis topicals so that you can experience these benefits from the comfort of your home.
How To Make Cannabis Lotion From Home
We’ve introduced you to cannabis topicals, we’ve explored their benefits, and we’ve discussed how they work. Now, it is time for us to craft our cannabis-infused balm or lotion. Cannabis balms and lotions are revered for their pain-relieving properties which makes them ideal for after a workout or for general pain relief. Here is what you will need to craft your cannabis balm.
Ingredients / Equipment
- 10 grams of dried, ground cannabis
- 1.5 Cups of Coconut Oil
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Beeswax
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 Jar
- 1 Muslin Cloth / Cheesecloth
1. Preheat Your Oven, Prepare Your Baking Sheet
After collecting your ingredients and organizing them at the ready, begin by preheating your oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit. While your oven is preheating, spread your ground cannabis onto your baking sheet. You will bake your ground cannabis in the oven for 30 minutes to accomplish decarboxylation.
Decarboxylation is the process of activating compounds found within cannabis through a chemical reaction that removes carboxyl and releases carbon dioxide.
2. Heat Your Oils / Cannabis, Pour Over Cloth
While your ground cannabis is decarboxylating in the oven, place coconut and olive oil into a saucepan on low heat, stirring continuously. When your cannabis is done in the oven, mix it into the coconut oil on that same low heat for an additional 20 minutes.
After you have mixed your oils and cannabis for 20 minutes, remove the saucepan from the heat and pour it through your muslin cloth or cheesecloth into a jar. Set aside for later.
3. Add Beeswax, Other Topicals. Mix Thoroughly.
With your cannabis mixture cooling in a jar, pour 1/3 cup of beeswax into the saucepan that you just emptied. Heat on low until the wax has melted while slowly adding the cannabis-infused oil you just created. At this point, you can add essential oils like lavender or tea tree oil to provide a boost of soothing benefits.
At this point, you’ve created a cannabis salve that can be applied as-needed! While your salve won’t last forever, you can ensure its longevity by storing the product in a sealed container in a cool and dark place.
Pro Tip: If you want a more watery consistency to your cannabis lotion, add a cup of aloe vera gel, 1 tsp of vitamin E oil, and 2 tbsp of Shea butter to your salve before mixing thoroughly.
How Do Cannabis Lotions Work?
If you are new to the wide world of cannabis topicals, you are likely wondering how they work. After all, don’t you have to consume cannabis to enjoy the powerful impact of its cannabinoids? While it is true that ingesting cannabis can lead to introducing cannabinoids and terpenes into the body’s bloodstream, topical applications work by targeting localized areas instead. This allows individuals to utilize the powerful benefits of cannabis without the psychoactive impact that THC-rich cannabis products can have.
Let’s take a look at a few key advantages that cannabis-infused topical lotions can provide.
- Targeted Relief – Consuming conventional cannabis products requires combustion, dabbing, or vaporizing. With cannabis topical lotions, users need simply to apply to their targeted area. There are no expensive smoking rigs to concern yourself with. Easy to apply and completely customizable, you can target your use of cannabis lotion in the areas that matter most.
- Steady Release – Onset of consumed cannabis can vary from seconds to minutes. With cannabis lotion, individuals can enjoy a slow, steady, and controlled dissemination of cannabis benefits. Topicals slot nicely between edibles and smoked/vaped cannabis products concerning onset time.
- Bypass Lungs – While there are safer ways to smoke and ingest cannabis, very few of them leave your lungs untouched. The ingestion of cannabis, despite its material benefits, can cause harm to your lungs. Topical lotions are fast, effective, and harmless.
- Make From Home – While many states with legal cannabis use currently exist, far fewer allow for the growth of cannabis at home. Cannabis lotions can be made from home safely and effectively while staying completely within the bounds of the law. So long as cannabis is legal in some capacity, you can enjoy the process at your convenience.
Cannabis topicals are just one of the many ways that individuals can enjoy the power and soothing benefits that cannabis can provide.