Of all the edibles stocking dispensary store shelves today and all the trendy online recipes for marijuana baked goods, the “pot brownie” remains the most notorious. This cannabis-laced chocolatey treat has been depicted countless times in movies and television, and there’s no telling how many people have asked “Are those special brownies?” at parties over the decades. And aside from all the fame, they’re just one truly enjoyable way of consuming cannabis!
But as any veteran will tell you, not all marijuana brownies are created equal. The best are fudgy and chocolatey enough to not let the potent flavors of cannabis overwhelm, and they also retain plenty of moist gooeyness to ward off any cotton mouth. They also must be filling and satisfying, as consuming too many at a time can lead to way too strong of a high. That said, the ingredient proportions must still allow for the cannabis to have an effect.
Martha Stewart’s Brownie Recipe
Search for the “best pot brownie recipe” online, and it’s very likely that a video of Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg baking brownies together will pop up sooner rather than later. As it turns out, the recipe Martha Stewart has them follow makes for one lusciously delicious marijuana brownie (though since it was for an episode on national TV, the addition of cannabis was more suggested than literal).
This recipe is as follows:
1 Baking Pan (9″ X 13″ for regular brownie thickness; larger for thinner)
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup pecans (chopped)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. Butter or grease the baking pan and set aside (for now).
3. Beat eggs together by hand in a mixing bowl or at low speed in an electric mixer. Gradually add in sugar, continuing to beat the mixture for 10 minutes.
4. Sift together flour, cocoa, salt and baking power. Add the egg mixture slowly, beating until everything is just combined but not perfectly mixed.
5. Stir in pecans and vanilla.
6. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for about 35 minutes, until the edges just start to visibly pull away from the sides. Remove the pan and let cool. If desired, spread chocolate icing over the brownies and allow it to set before serving. Enjoy!
How Much Cannabis Should Be Added?
Some will say that the amount of cannabis you should add to any “pot brownie” recipe depends on personal preference. While this is true, it’s also true that it’s very easy to go overboard. An easy way is to opt for cannabis oil rather than actual ground leaf or powder, as it can be measured more easily and will also fit in seamlessly with the recipes. For the recipe above, you can add ⅔ cups of cannabis-infused oil and still get a gentle effect from each serving. The oil is added when you add in the sugar. You can adjust the oil amount as desired, but it’s a good idea to test the dosage in each brownie (one small serving at a time) before deciding to consume more.
Never serve marijuana brownies to someone underage or to anyone without informing them of the ingredients. Always enjoy responsibly.