Take a stroll into your favorite dispensary and you’ll be blown away by the variety of strains and product options available to you. If you used cannabis prior to the onset of medical legalization, you are probably used to far fewer choices. In today’s conversation, we are going to explain the differences between weed strains so that you can find the right products for your wellness needs from All Greens Dispensary AZ.
What Is A Strain?
Cannabis can potentially be traced back to central Asia, with the plant slowly spreading around the world over time. As the plant acclimates to new environments and cultivators, the changes in its chemical and physical characteristics manifest as new strains. Forced underground due to its illegal nature, cannabis is only just now being studied under the light of day for wider botanical classification and use.
Unique Characteristics of a Cannabis Strain
By looking at the physical and chemical characteristics that are manifest, we can better understand how a strain will make us feel. There are a few key areas that shoppers should be aware of as they look for strains to take home.
- Terpene Content – First and foremost, terpenes are molecules found in cannabis (and plants broadly) that produce both flavor and aroma. Terpenes can impact how a strain tastes and feels as well as the effects that it imparts. There are currently over 200 known plant terpenes. Terpenes like Myrcene are ideal for supporting pain relief, while Pinene may be better for energy stimulation.
- Cannabinoids – Within cannabis, there are many cannabinoids that can impact our body’s endocannabinoid system. Our endocannabinoid system will determine how we are impacted by a strain. Key cannabinoids include THC and CBD. THC is the element most responsible for creating the psychoactive experiences that cannabis enthusiasts enjoy.
- Environment – The environment will directly impact the way a plant grows and the effects that it produces. The growing environment can impact the level of cannabinoids and terpenes.
How To Select A Weed Strain
The next time you roll through All Greens AZ, take some time to prepare yourself for your visit. With a little bit of preparation, you will be able to take home cannabis flower tailored to your preferences, needs, and desires.
Here are a few things to focus on when shopping for cannabis.
- Potency – Cannabinoids can combine in certain concentrations to elevate the overall potency of your cannabis. High levels of THC, for example, will provide a different high than a CBD-dominant strain.
- Effects – Everyone will react to cannabis in their own way based upon their endocannabinoid system. That being said, we can tailor our experience by tracing certain effects through terpene and THC tracking. Linalool, as an example, is highly relaxing.
- Flavor – Finally, focus on the flavor and aroma of the cannabis you consume.
Let’s Talk About Indica, Sativa, and Hybrid Cannabis
Historically, strains have been classified under the indica, sativa, or hybrid label. Most people believe that Indica’s leave you “in the couch” while sativa’s bring energy and hybrids combine some elements of the two. The truth is, these descriptors are more ideal for describing the structure of the plant rather than its effects. Classification of the plant is relevant but it is not the only factor you should include during your purchase.