The recreational and medicinal use of cannabis can be traced back to the Chinese Emperor Shen Nung in 2727 B.C. Over the intervening years, cannabis has evolved in both form and function which has led to mass commercialization of products like cannabis edibles. Edible cannabis products are typically going to be comprised of food items like cookies and brownies, though there is no limit to the form that they may take. As legalization of marijuana becomes more prevalent around the world, expect further diversity in the range of marijuana edibles.
To properly enjoy and understand marijuana edibles, it is important to comprehend the dosing requirements surrounding them.
Finding the Correct Edible Strength
As edibles are the easiest way to experience the benefits of cannabis, they are available in a variety of different strengths. Each person will have a unique biological makeup that will impact the way an edible interacts with their body. It is important to understand that a marijuana edible can impact two people in entirely unique ways. Several factors will alter how your body reacts to the edible including history of cannabis use, gastrointestinal health, and the function of your endocannabinoid system.
Understanding how edibles can impact your body is important, so use the following dosage chart as an outline before consuming your next cannabis product.
2.5 – 5 mg THC Edible
Mild doses of cannabis edibles will typically contain between 2.5 and 5 mg of THC. As the smallest dose available, effects are correspondingly mild. This strength is commonly used for micro-dosing to increase creativity and focus.
- Ideal For – Addressing mild pain relief, anxiety, and stress.
5 – 15 mg THC Edible
The standard dose for regular consumers, edibles in the 5 to 15 mg range will provide tangible and longer-lasting effects for the user.
- Ideal For – Strong relief for anxiety and pain, helps against insomnia. Consumers will experience cognitive impairment and perception as well as euphoria.
30 – 50 mg THC Edible
For experienced consumers only. Edibles in the 30 – 50 mg range will provide significant euphoric effects as well as impaired cognitive function.
- Ideal For – Individuals with a high tolerance for THC and those seeking a stronger and long-lasting elevation.
50 – 100 mg THC Edible
The strongest edibles on the market will typically not exceed 100 mg THC. These edibles are to be used only by experienced consumers who have a high tolerance for THC.
- Ideal For – Individuals with a high tolerance for THC, consumers battling cancer, inflammatory health disorders, or other similarly serious health conditions.
Tips For Consuming Edibles Responsibly
While consuming a marijuana edible is an accessible way to enjoy the benefits of cannabis, there are still considerations that need to be made. Inexperienced cannabis users frequently will cite edibles as having caused a negative incident. In order to offset the potential for a bad experience, consider a few of the following tips.
- Wait An Hour – Due to the unique body composition that we all enjoy, edibles may impact users at different rates. Wait at least one hour before assessing the state of your edible. Consider eating a small snack to assist the digestion of your cannabis.
- Drink Water – Cannabis can cause your mouth to reduce the production of saliva.
- Treating Over Consumption – Emergency medical care is almost never needed when discussing cannabis edibles unless the user has a pre-existing medical condition such as heart disease. Consuming a dose of CBD and drinking water can help to combat feelings associated with the overconsumption of edibles.